New Club - DVAGA

Have a comment or suggestion? Let's hear it...
Erin

New Club - DVAGA

Post by Erin »

Hopefully no one is upset by this but you guys inspired me to start a club in my area (Delaware Valley/Philadelphia). I would like to have the kind of group you guys have here on a local basis. We are looking at scheduling the meetings on the second or third Saturday of the month.

We are going to lay out the meeting plan for the next four months and it will include some great door prizes and auction items. I am donating the cube from oceanimage.com for auction with a reserve of 50.00.

If anyone has suggestions on how to start a club or how we can help each other it would be appreciated.

Erin
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Erin;

You might want to check the Yahoo group "Phillyplants". As a group member, I know of several earlier attempts in the Philly area where we've almost gotten off the ground. Get names of interested people and find out if they would be willing to do some work in building the club.

The problem is you need to reach "critical mass" almost from the start for a physical club to make it. In Delaware, several of us tried starting the Diamond State Aquatic Plant Club both independently and as part of the Diamond State Aquarium Society and both efforts failed. We had a fair number of people say they were interested but when a lot of them found out they would have to put in some effort on their part to get out the word, and do some actual work in building the club, they dropped out.

Don't mean to rain on your parade and I'd love to see a club closer to home, but it's a lot of work and not every member wants to put in that kind of work.

Cheers.
Jim
Erin

Post by Erin »

Your not raining on my parade Jim. I expect it to be a lot of work. Things worth having usually are a lot of work. I'm also a member of a marine club locally so I've seen how it goes.

I've laid out a meeting format for the next several months on APC. Why don't you check it out and see if you can make it to one or two?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm glad to see we inspired you Erin. :)

GWAPA has been blessed with some very commited members and it's my belief that this is what keeps it running so well. If you can find people who'll make it a priority I'm sure you can get something off the ground.
Erin

Post by Erin »

Thank you Aaron. You guys are great.
John G

Post by John G »

This is obvious, but I'll say it anyway: When you first start advertise everywhere. Put notices in local aquarium stores, submit notices to groups like Aquatic Plants Mailing list, the Barr Report, and anywhere else you can think of.

John
Erin

Post by Erin »

Thank you John. I forgot about the Aquatic Plant Mailing list and The Barr Report. :)
Erin

Post by Erin »

Thank you for the door prizes and the support. I'm sorry I missed the meeting it sounds like it was fun.

I'm going to bring or send some of the manzanita for the next auction as a donation.

Erin

Sponsors