Club Update

News & upcoming events
John K

Club Update

Post by John K »

Hey all
How about an update?
What will be the topic for this weekends meeting?
What about snorkelin g in the Chesapeake?
Florida Trip?
Acrylic cubes?
Is Aaron our new president?
And what about those t-shirts on cafepress.com that we were going to make?
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

geez im outta the loop, i didnt even know there was a meeting this week.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

geez im outta the loop, i didnt even know there was a meeting this week.

Meetings are ALWAYS on the 4th saturday of the month at 1:00 pm unless otherwise specified due to a holiday conflict.

John, If you read the homepage and forums you will find the answers to a lot of those questions.

Yes, I'm president now.
The Florida Trip is still on from what I know.
The meeting is in Annandale, VA at John Godbey's home (has been posted for 2 weeks now ;)). No topic, just a social and an auction.
I'm looking into glass cubes now. We decided the acrylic route was too expensive.
I don't know anything about t-shirts?
You're welcome to snorkel in the Chesapeake, but I for one value my health... :mrgreen: The Chesapeake trip was to plant grasses in the marshes. The foundation that does the planting did not seem to want to work with us so we've scratched that idea for now.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

It's a shame about the grasses project. I don't know if anyone else saw the article on the Chesapeake Bay in the June National Geographic, but it really drove home the point that we all like to forget -- that the Bay isn't getting any better, and one of the largest reasons for the decline in crabs and other animals is the decline of grasses for them to inhabit.

On the T-Shirts... It was mentioned at one of the meetings that we might want to put a few T-Shirt designs up on cafepress.com. I believe it's free, and could generate some revenue for the club. I think the stumbling block is the lack of someone who is artistically inclined, coming up with a design. I guess, we could always take the GWAPA crest and put it on a shirt, but that might not be that interesting. I'm sure if anyone wanted to volunteer their time to come up with some T-Shirt designs, that we wouldn't refuse.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I am also working on making up a mailing list for all members so that events and meetings can be announced via email as well.

There is a whole forum that is only viewable to the board members and please let me assure you that it is quite active most every day. ;) Also, as Kris already suggested we would LOVE to have others volunteer to head up projects like t-shirt making and such. Such projects would likely be subject to approval by the board. Any artists out there want to come up with a few different designs that we could vote on?
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

:oops: Umm. I had volunteered to make a tshirt design, but then life stepped in and I got too busy. I have time now, but it'll have to wait until either my computer is fixed or I buy another one. If anyone else wants to work on this, please do. I created a shirt for my self some months ago on cafepress.com with just the gwapa logo. While the logo is nice, it would be better to have something else as well.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I think it's tricky trying to make a "cool" shirt for a hobby that involves growing aquatic weeds. :mrgreen:

Sponsors