The Big Fish Deal

News & upcoming events
FishEggs

The Big Fish Deal

Post by FishEggs »

Are you Going to the Big Fish Deal? Going to be staying at the hotel for the weekend? I will be and i'm looking to split the cost with someone. I've already booked a room with 2 beds so i have a spare bed available. PM for more details.
FishEggs

Re: The Big Fish Deal

Post by FishEggs »

Spare bed has been claimed.
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Question for past attendees. What sort of equipment is offered at the marketplace. Is it mostly used or new and if used is it in good shape or mostly give away stuff? If new, are prices good, i.e. better than amazon?

Tim
halak

Post by halak »

I remember seeing used equipment while there were some vendors, such as Batfish, that were selling new things. I don't know what the prices were because I was only looking at live things. The Catfish Convention had a lot more vendors selling new things. The next Catfish Convention will be in October, by the way.
Viktor
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Tim, I've sold used lights at BFD previously that were all in good shape and in working condition. I priced to moved. For items like those that you think could be of reasonable interest, you can bring to the GWAPA table. Please don't bring a box of random used odds n ends / give aways though.
halak

Post by halak »

Anyone who is bringing things to sell at the GWAPA table on Sunday, please put your name and the price on the bag.
Viktor
Linus_Cello

Post by Linus_Cello »

tim- unless you register for the whole conference there is a fee for the Sunday marketplace
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

Yeah I will be there the whole time unless something comes up. I was mainly interested in buying things. I need a new small heater which is an add on with Amazon. I had not even considered selling equipment.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Tim, no offense, but I think one of the stupidest ways you can try to save money is by buying a used heater. The heater is the only piece of equipment on most fish tanks that can fail and kill the fish, and its the only piece of equipment that is guaranteed to eventually fail. Heaters are ticking time bombs, and when you buy a used one, you're buying one that is god-knows how much closer to its expiration date, and you don't know how it was used, handled, etc. before.

Heaters should always be bought new, and only reliable brands -- no off-brand heaters, please. On higher end tanks, they should absolutely be plugged into a reliably controller. And, they should be replaced at least every 2-3 years.
><>
Tim_Koles

Post by Tim_Koles »

None taken - but I was not planning on buying a used heater. To clarify before too much more time is wasted on a through away question, I was simply trying to gauge if there were people seeking new equipment or if I should just go ahead and pick one up from amazon with the caveat that I needed to but something else or wait till Sunday. I was not sure if people were mainly selling used gear or new gear. I apparently complicated everything by asking about the quality of the used gear.

That said a used heater would be just fine for this setup. Its going in an emersed crypt setup with just some water in the bottom and no livestock. Damn - there I go complicating things again ;)

Sponsors