November scaping opportunity - in lieu of a meeting?

News & upcoming events
mab
GWAPA Member

November scaping opportunity - in lieu of a meeting?

Post by mab »

Rumor has it that the Holiday Party will be at my home on December 7. I'd really like to have a nice tank to show-off at the party.

I have a Perfecto 125g six-foot aquarium sitting empty in the RecRoom. It is the only tank outside the Fish Room.

Therefore, since there is no meeting in November I invite GWAPA members to first offer suggestions on how to scape this tank and then help implement the 'consensus' scape on November 22 at 1:00pm. I'll provide drinks (a fully stocked beer fridge) and home made pizza.

Parameters:
Tank 125g - 6 feet by 18 inches by 25 1/5 inches tall.
Lighting four 55 watt CFLs.
No CO2 system.
Filter: Overflow to sump.
Stocking with five Rio Nanay Scalares ('Peruvian Altums') and a dozen Dianema longibarbis (Porthole Cats) also from the Rio Nanay.
Christy twisted my arm at the CatCon to purchase Cryrt usteriana after I floated the idea of this invite. I have a few other crypts, bolbitis (both forms), Java fern (narrow, regular, & trident?), lots of Anubias and a few other plants. Willing to pay a fair price for other plants recommended and used.
Fluorite mixed with aquatic planting medium for substrate base and lots of sand (that's the Amazon .
Hardscape materials: lots of porous mossy rock from our group buy (usable even though the Rio Nanay has absolutely no rocks), many pieces of manzanita branches and trunks, plus several large pieces of Amazon drift wood.

Please share if you have suggestions for the scape--plus let me know if I missed any details above.

Please also post if you can help scape the tank so I have an idea as to how many pizzas to make.

Michael
Member of GWAPA, CCA and PVAS plus American Begonia Society and Potomac Branch. Former PVAS President (twice) and Treasurer since 2015. Check out GoWildPeru on the web and FB for Peruvian Rain to Cloud Forest Tropical Fish and 'Plant' collecting trips.
krisw
Site Admin

Re: November scaping opportunity - in lieu of a meeting?

Post by krisw »

I'm interested, Michael! I'll post my thoughts in the coming weeks...
mbnguyen

Post by mbnguyen »

This sound interesting. So we'll be helping with the scape and setup? Do you gave a tally of guest yet?
ddavila06
GWAPA Member

Post by ddavila06 »

I hope to come Michael! I doubt there is anything to be brought..except Anubias Nangii or Anubias sp Gasser. either interest you?
Damian Davila
"Fishes-up, chill, Plants too"
"so many plants, so little space!"
mab
GWAPA Member

Post by mab »

Let me know if you'll be here on Saturday so I know how much dough and sauce to make for the pizzas. The beer fridge next to the 125 is fully stocked. I also have lots of diet sodas.

I will paint the back of the tank black (unless there are strong objections) and set-up the sump system this week. I'll lay out all the hard scape materials. I'll also purchase super glue for attaching plants. What else do I need to have ready?

I have the plants listed above and a few others that survived the three years of neglect the fish room suffered. I hope to have some of the short form bolbitis back I loaned for the Aquatic Experience team event. Again, I'm interested in other plants that will work. If you think it will work bring if and we'll see how it fits.

Still open to suggestions. I'm excited to enjoy and share Dec 7 the results of consensus opinion of those who come on Saturday.

Michael
Member of GWAPA, CCA and PVAS plus American Begonia Society and Potomac Branch. Former PVAS President (twice) and Treasurer since 2015. Check out GoWildPeru on the web and FB for Peruvian Rain to Cloud Forest Tropical Fish and 'Plant' collecting trips.
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

I will probably come. Do you have an aquascaping kit (long tweezers, scissors, etc)?
Cristy Keister

Post by Cristy Keister »

What time are we starting? Not too early, please!
mbnguyen

Post by mbnguyen »

My buddy and I would love to come if we could make it back from Richmond in time.
Last edited by mbnguyen on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mab
GWAPA Member

Post by mab »

Cristy Keister wrote:I will probably come. Do you have an aquascaping kit (long tweezers, scissors, etc)?
I do have the aquascaping kit from the group buy we made a few years back.
mab
GWAPA Member

Post by mab »

Cristy Keister wrote:What time are we starting? Not too early, please!
I was thinking 1:00 pm as that is the regular meeting time.

Sponsors