CBF Grasses

News & upcoming events
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

At the Dec meeting we touched on a program run by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation where people grow aquatic grasses at home and then in the spring help plant them in the bay. If we as a group are going to get involved in this we need to do so soon. More info on the program can be found <a href="http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?page ... erest=1022" target="_blank">here</a> . I'll go head and contact the MD contact person and try and find out more info.

What are ya'll's thoughts on becoming involved as a group?
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Here's one vote. Please post more info as you get it. I'd like to participate with this project.

-Kris
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm in as well.
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

Reply back from CBF

Begin---

Thanks so much for your interest in restoring underwater grasses. I am including some general information on the project (below). To answer a couple of your points, volunteers in the Masses program use special equipment that we provide to grow their grasses in (tubs are used in place of aquariums)---this is based on a scientific protocol that CBF has developed over several years to ensure the greatest success. Also, we now have several partner workshops in the Washington suburbs that individuals from your group can connect with. I will also be leading a workshop in Annapolis and in Baltimore. Where do your members live? At this time, we don't yet have all the dates and locations, but workshops begin in mid-March for planting at restoration sites in June. I will be happy to add your name to our contact list for the full spring calendar of events (just send me your mailing address and a phone #.) Please let me know if you have any additional questions and thanks again for your interest.

End---

I have sent them my contact info and have also offered the services of the group to host a workshop. Will keep ya'll updated.
Rick Dotson

Post by Rick Dotson »

I am interested as well. Last year when I contacted the CBF they insisted that to grow plants that interested people would need to pay $30 and and attend a class. The $30 was to cover equipment.

Not a lot of interest last year, although G.G. and myself went to the National Plant Material Center at the Beltsville Agricultural Center. They really need help growing aquatic plants there! The center mostly grows marsh grasses to replace grasses lost in parks. There grow out ponds are covered with alage and I think we GWAPA members could grow more plants in tanks at our homes than they grow in their greenhouse.

To be fair they are really understaffed. This is also not their speciality. They have also been though a management change and it might be a good time to call them back.

That being said I think there are a lot of opportunities to help with planting aquatic plants in our local area.

I am in. Let's discuss it at the next meeting.

Rick
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

Heard back from CBF. They have some upcoming Underwater Grasses Workshops. I asked them if they are willing to do a Workshop with or for us. Explained we could deliver 20+ people, but they are steadfast in the way they handle this project. Below is a list of upcoming workshops, times, dates contacts etc. I plan on attending the one in Baltimore at the end of March.

Begin CBF MSG----

Underwater Grasses Workshops

These workshops are led by CBF staff and by CBF’s Community Connections partners. Learn how to grow underwater grasses in your home for transplant in a previously selected location in close proximity to the workshop. You will be provided with background information, instruction on how to get started and all equipment, seeds, or cuttings. Program fee may apply. Advance registration required, contact the individual workshop leaders directly to sign up and for further information.

Tuesday, March 29, 6-9 p.m.
Unitarian Universalist Church of Annapolis
333 Dubois Road
Annapolis, MD 21401
To register and for further information, contact Corinne Irwin at 410.263.5653 or e-mail onertwons@comcast.net.

Wednesday, March 30, 6-8:30 p.m.
Parks and People Foundation
Stieff Silver Building
800 Wyman Park Drive, Suite 010
Baltimore, MD 21211
To register and for further information, contact Marcy Damon at 443.482.2156 or e-mail mdamon@cbf.org.

Monday, April 4, 6-9 p.m.
333 Dubois Road
Annapolis, MD 21401
To register and for further information, contact Corinne Irwin at 410.263.5653 or e-mail onertwons@comcast.net.
Nathan
gnatster

Post by gnatster »

Revieved another note from CBF today. I plan on attending the one in Baltimore March 30. There are also 3 listed in No VA.

Nathan

Begin CBF -----

Hi Nathan,
Thanks for your interest in restoring underwater grasses. I am including some general information on the project after my signature (scroll down). If you want to attend my Baltimore workshop on March 30, there is a $30 fee which includes a membership to CBF. Other workshops are run by our Community Connections partners (you should contact them directly to find out about fees, etc. but usually they are less since they obtain grants for all their equipment). Dates/leaders are listed below:

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

6 pm – 9 pm

Underwater Grass Workshop

333 Dubois Road

Annapolis, MD 21401

To register and for further information, contact Corinne Irwin at 410-263-5653, onertwons@comcast.net

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

6:00-8:30 pm

Parks and People Foundation

Stieff Silver Building
800 Wyman Park Drive, Suite 010
Baltimore, MD 21211

To register and for further information, contact Marcy Damon at 443-482-2156, mdamon@cbf.org

Monday, April 4, 2005

6 pm – 9 pm

Underwater Grass Workshop

333 Dubois Road

Annapolis, MD 21401

To register and for further information, contact Corinne Irwin at 410-263-5653, onertwons@comcast.net

VIRGINIA WORKSHOPS:

March 10 or March 14 (7-9 pm)

or March 13 (1-3 pm)

Del Ray

Alexandria, VA

To register and for further information, contact Jen McDonnell at 703-549-0917,

mcjen78@msn.com

Marcy Damon
Habitat Restoration Trainer
Chesapeake Bay Foundation
6 Herndon Avenue
Annapolis, MD 21403
443-482-2156
mdamon@cbf.org
www.cbf.org

Thanks for your interest in helping the Bay by growing underwater grasses. CBF's Bay Grasses for the Masses workshops give individuals and families the opportunity to grow underwater grasses at home and then plant them in designated restoration sites on a specific date. Workshops take place in March and early April. Growing takes 8-10 weeks and planting is held on a weeknight or Saturday in June. It's a really fun easy activity. We provide seeds or cuttings (depending on the species grown) and lend you all the equipment (tubs, lights, heater, filter, etc.). You will need to purchase a small bag of sand and a small bag of topsoil (not potting soil) for the planting medium. You mainly need some space (4' x 4'), a sturdy table to put the tub on, and an electrical outlet. The grasses should be grown indoors or in your basement (not in your garage or outside porch where temperatures fluctuate too much). The system does not need to be near a window. Maintenance of the system takes about an hour each week. There is a $30 program fee, which includes a membership to CBF.

For more information on underwater grasses, go to these links:

Chesapeake Bay Foundation website: www.cbf.org/grasses

Chesapeake Bay Program (EPA): http://www.chesapeakebay.net/baygras.htm

The Virginia Institute of Marine Science: http://www.vims.edu/bio/sav/

Maryland Department of Natural Resources: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/bay/sav/index.html

To check on CBF's volunteer calendar of workshops, events, and other projects:

http://www.cbf.org/events
Nathan
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

would we be able to grow these grasses in our tanks ?
Jamie G

Post by Jamie G »

ill be attending the meeting in annapolis

Sponsors