Phoebe Hearst Elementary School aquarium restoration

News & upcoming events
mab
GWAPA Member

Phoebe Hearst Elementary School aquarium restoration

Post by mab »

Colleagues,

As you know I've spearheaded PVAS's involvement with this restoration project. Google to find more info - the Post has pictures, too.

It is an antique "art deco" ~130 gallon aquarium made by the Jewell company of Chicago. The restoration project is coming to fruition next month with the re-installation of the restored tank and installation of a sump filter system with auto-top-off. The tank has no lighting ; however, it receives natural light since it sits inside of a south facing bay window. Light to the tank is controlled by window shades.

The reason for this posting on the GWAPA forum is to solicit ideas and plant donations for the tank. It was suggested at the last meeting that we go with Shawn's technique for substrate. Obviously out of necessity, it was also suggested that we go with a low light and low maintenance planting scheme. Even though the theme is an "Amazon" habitat. Shawn suggested a very large sword slopping down to cyrpts and anubias (I know not "amazon") then dwarf sag and marsilea. I have a very large sword I'm willing to donate. I talked to Dave last night and he is willing to throw in some C. balansae and some java fern.

So, what planting suggestions would you make? Remember low light, low maintenance. Please post. Also, what might you be able to donate. Tonight I'll post a footprint of the tank - it is only 14 1/4" wide, the longest leg is 77 1/4" with a height of 24" (glass is 22 1/4").

More importantly, what can you donate and even more importantly can you help with the planting. Does someone have some wood to throw in?

Lastly, who is available on November 14 to represent GWAPA at the re-dedication of the Aquarium?

Michael
Attachments
InsidePerimeterofTank.pdf
(13.47 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
aMVC-698F.JPG
aMVC-698F.JPG (64.41 KiB) Viewed 4960 times
fredyk

Post by fredyk »

I can help plant. What is your schedule like for planting? Give me an idea so I can help out. Cannot help on Nov 14.

I can offer spiral vals, small variety. Better get them quick before I sell at PVAS auction. hehe
Mark Harnet
ingg

Post by ingg »

Definitely no good for the 14th. Someone come teach me how to trim java fern off of the wood it is grown on. :)

Can someone with the knowledge post a list of appropriate plants for a low light amazonian biotope?
Dave
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Can someone with the knowledge post a list of appropriate plants for a low light amazonian biotope?
Most parts of the Amazon don't have plants. Otherwise, I saw Amazon swords (mostly above ground), and water lettuce floating on top. A true Amazon biotope would be brown water with lots of branches, and leaves/mud bottom. Please make it prettier than this. :-p

Unfortunately, I expect to be out of town on the 14th for a cousin-in-law's wedding. I can donate some plants, but timing of the donation will dictate what. Probably marsilea and anubias.
fredyk

Post by fredyk »

Regarding the low light, south facing windows. I would use diffused light to avoid algae.

I have been doing an experiement this summer with hair grass in goblets. THey were getting mostly indirect light. The hair grass grew beautifully. Of course daylight was 18 hours!

The more direct light they got, the more algae there was. So they did best with very little sunlight.

http://www.gwapa.org/membergallery/albu ... .sized.jpg

I think you'd do best with a few types of plants, crypts grow well in low light. Maybe some others like spiral vals. The first priority is llow maintenance, yes? BTW, is the tank empty during summer recess or is it filled up?
Mark Harnet
mab
GWAPA Member

Post by mab »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01757.html

This is the link that got this all started.

Here is an update: The 27th is our next meeting so maybe we can make a day of it!!

Please keep the Saturday mornings of 27 Oct, 3 & 10 November open if you can. The school is doing a a favor to open those mornings for us.

PVAS (plus some GWAPAers) has suggested and offered donations of angelfish, endlers, a shoal or two of corys, ancistrus, apistos and some shoals of tetras to stock the tank. I spoke with the classroom teacher and she is excited about the stocking scheme - especially the idea of the angels being individual enough that they can be named - I think this would be even more true if we limit to a max of two of each type, i.e. koi, marble, wild, gold, etc. What do you think is the max numbers for the different species in a 138G tank?

The school will open for GWAPA to do the planting on a Saturday and for PVAS to stock the tank the next week. Working back from Nov 14 should we stock it the Saturday (10th) before which is only 4 days or should we stock it two Saturdays before (3rd) or do so slowing over a period of a couple weeks? This would put GWAPA in on the 27th of October.

I'm working on the donation list which I'll post soon.
Member of GWAPA, CCA and PVAS plus American Begonia Society and Potomac Branch. Former PVAS President (twice) and Treasurer since 2015. Check out GoWildPeru on the web and FB for Peruvian Rain to Cloud Forest Tropical Fish and 'Plant' collecting trips.
ingg

Post by ingg »

I should be able to make it the 27th - I'll just head down there early. Whatever help I can offer, be glad to, tho I'm no great shake as an aquascaper. ;)

I'm no good for the 3rd, wife has a continuing ed course that day, so I have daddy duty...

If we are planning crypts, earlier the better, let them melt and regrow, heh.
Dave
mab
GWAPA Member

Post by mab »

Here is where I think we are headed for fish and plants. Please respond with additional suggestions, corrections and additions. Most importantly what you can donate. Remember that we are attempting to stock an "Amazon" aquarium (I know some of the plants we are looking at aren't amazon - I'm in total agreement with Kris that we have to make it prettier.

Angelfish (how many total should we aim for)? - twofishguys.com has offered to donate a few. Who is breeding what types and can offer two each of the types.

Apistos?

Festivums? They shoal with Angels - I'm breeding festivums and have a few ready for new homes.

Corys - Frank can you provide a shoal of salt and peppers? Something in the dozen range? Should we aim for two varieties? What else do we have between us. I just wish I had more C. luxozonus.

Ancistrus - Frank, how many do we need for this size of a tank?

Endlers - who?

Shoals of tetras - a must, is anyone breeding tetras? If not, we need to agree on a wish list of species so Scales can put them on the donation registry list that parents at the school can purchase. I like my shoals of a minimum of 10 to 12. We have a suggestion for the following: Neons, serpaes, black neons, blues, bleeding hearts, black skirts. I really like the Colombian (Hyphessobrycon columbianus) - I have two, if we could find more to make a large shoal that would be great - they are really a beautiful fish. I also have a shoal for 20 plus black neons I'm willing to donate; however, they are at least all a couple years old.

Plants - most are coming from GWAPA. Rodney and Jonathan have offered plants in the PVAS forum and Dave, Kris and Mark have offered plants on the GWAPA forum. I'm throwing in a very large Amazon Sword. I just hope some of the GWAPA master planters can make it on the 27th.

Shawn suggested M-something for low-light foreground plants - does any know what that is and does anyone have some?
Last edited by mab on Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ingg

Post by ingg »

If no one else has spares, I can offer up some Endlers. My populations kinda sunk with the revelation that little ones are a favorite food of apistos, but I can make it work for a few anyhow. :)
Dave
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Technically we do already have our regularly scheduled GWAPA meeting that same day (Oct 27th) at John Godbey's at 1:00 pm.

I'd be willing to help out in the morning through. How early are we starting?

For fish I think it looks nicer to keep it simple. I understand though that most people like naming pets and such so I can see the appeal of lots of different colored angels. I'm a huge fan of the green neon tetras for a schooling fish.

Ghazanfar is the man with the Marsilea minuta ( easy foreground plant ).

Sponsors