August Meeting

News & upcoming events
fredyk

Post by fredyk »

I would like to hitch a ride with the Herndon group. :)
Mark Harnet
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

halak wrote:-more free fish-

I have one female Epiplatys annulatus for free if someone wants her. Also, I am giving away a male Aphyosemion striatum. If somebody is interested, I will take one or both to the meeting.

On a side note, when I got back two weeks ago after being away for nearly 2 months I noticed that in my cherry shrimp only tank there were no young ones only adults. Tonight I realized why. I found a fish in my "shrimp only" tank that is over a inch in lenght and looks a little like a female Beckford's pencilfish. I have never had that kind of fish. I probably got the egg with some plant,and the fry grew up eating baby shrimp.
What do the killies need waterwise and how long do they live for?
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants
halak

Post by halak »

other Jeff,

I have the killies in around neurtal pH, and I don't heat their water. The species I have for offer live for a few years. By the way, the A. striatum is usually available in fish stores, so you could get more if you wanted to.
Viktor
ingg

Post by ingg »

I need to buy some bags if I'm catching y'all in time who have them... say 10 or so?

Just had to make a fish bag with our foodsaver, lol.
Dave
JMLenke

Post by JMLenke »

ingg wrote:I need to buy some bags if I'm catching y'all in time who have them... say 10 or so?

what?
The other Jeff

Master of growing algae and getting better at plants
mab
GWAPA Member

Post by mab »

ingg wrote:I need to buy some bags if I'm catching y'all in time who have them... say 10 or so?

I'll bring a box of 4x16 so you can select the number you need.
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

Thanks for the wonderful hospitality Saturday. The food was great, and I really enjoyed the tour of the fish room, circulating range, and the famed Crinum veggie filter.

Thanks again for the praecox and crinums, all are happy in their new homes.

BTW, Robert, what do you feed your praecox?

Cheers.
Jim
RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

I use an assortment of flakes and very small pellets from several brands (the theory being that that what one lacks or has in excess, the next brand may be the opposite), rotating through 4-6 types in sequence (buy small containers, even for multiple tanks). They also get live blackworms (a cone is a must) about 3x weekly, and the occasional feeding of frozen/thawed/rinsed Cyclopese. Mine will not follow food to the bottom, period, so the flagyail cats and/or bristlenose are workers in their tanks - did you notice that my bristenose are a tad plump - I still do overfeed a bit. Select against any fast-sinking pellets, even if small - too much goes uneaten by the 'bows.

It was a good session to me, even if the AC could not keep up with the crowd and the external heat index.

Let me know how the poor chopped-up Crinum does. I assume that the DNRs will be fine, they are remarkably hardy vigorous fish.
Where's the fish? Neptune
FrannyB

Post by FrannyB »

Thank you for being the host. Thank you for sharing your home. Everything was spot on! I love your home and garden. I felt like I was tropical location with good people, good food...a true cerebral work out.
Francine
Once you go Dutch you can't stop trimming.

http://www.capitalcichlids.org
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I've posted some meeting notes and pictures online here:

http://gwapa.org/articles/august2007/index.html

A recap of Robert's talk is available publicly here:

http://gwapa.org/articles/multi-tanks/index.html

Sponsors