Is Kris back? Quake in Peru!

News & upcoming events
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Is Kris back? Quake in Peru!

Post by Ghazanfar Ghori »

There was a 7.9 magnitude quake centered off Peru. Hope Kris
is already on his way back / back already.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Nope, he's still in South America somewhere. :shock: I think he's in another country at the moment. If memory serves Peru was the first week of the trip only.
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Rodney was going down there this week right? Dang. Hope everyone is ok.
rodcon00

Post by rodcon00 »

I am all right. I was not able to go on the trip because of a flight cancellation and the resulting problems. David Snell did fight his way through the flight problems and as far as I know made it into Iquitos. The good news is that the quake was centered very far away from the area where the Amazon trip was scheduled to visit. The main concern is when the folks fly back via Lima. I am worried about aftershocks.
Jeff120
Site Admin

Post by Jeff120 »

I believe Kris is in/around the Andes. But I think he has to come home via Lima
Jeff U.

rodcon00

Post by rodcon00 »

As a frame of reference Iquitos is about 620 miles NNE of Lima so the fish collecting area should be fine.

I believe that Kris may be somewhere near Machu Pichu which is closer to the earthquake zone. Machu Picchu is about 345 miles SE of Lima. The city that has flight service from Lima to the Machu Picchu region is Cusco. Both of those areas are East of the earthquake zone around Ica and Pisco Peru.

The following is a map of southern peru if you want to take a look.

http://www.go2peru.com/mapa_sur.htm
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Hi guys... Lauren and I arrived back home a couple hours ago. We were in the Lima airport when the earthquake hit. It was probably one of the scariest moments of my life, especially since at the time Lauren and I were in different parts of the airport, and were separated for about an hour, being evacuated to different areas outside of the airport. Fortunately, in the airport, the worst damage was fallen ceiling tiles, and other small items. We actually made our original flight out of the country, albeit, about 1.5 hours late. I understand that some other parts of the country were not as fortunate as us, and I'm really sorry to hear that after spending two weeks with some of the most beautiful people, inside and out, that I've ever met.

Thanks for concern!

Rodney, I heard about your cancellation, and am really bummed for you. I hope you're going to try and make the trip next January or August?
Ghazanfar Ghori
Site Admin

Glad you guys made it back in one peice.
Spine

Post by Spine »

Glad to have you back safe and sound Kris. I'm sure you will have plenty of pictures and dialog about the trip after you rest up(Hint Hint). I'll be looking for something either here or on Guitarfish soon.
Kevin
rodcon00

Post by rodcon00 »

I am glad that you and Lauren are safely back in country.

And yes I am already planning on going on at least one of the fish collecting trips in August 2008. What else I am going to do with the equipment I already bought and now have laying around the condo.

Sponsors