What Meeting Topics Do You Want To Hear?

News & upcoming events
Aaron

What Meeting Topics Do You Want To Hear?

Post by Aaron »

We need some ideas for our monthly meeting topics. Here are some we've covered in the past:

Sumps for planted tanks
Overdriving normal output flourescent bulbs
Mineralized topsoil substrates
Beginner basics
Nano tanks
Basic dosing strategies

What is it you all want to hear or discuss? It's certainly okay if you want to repeat something we've done in the past.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Hmm… I don’t know the feasibility of these, but here’s my brainstorming:

- A “new plants to the hobby” talk, where you detailed 4-5 new plants that are shooting around the forums, but not in wide circulation.
- Talk about immersed growth.
- Talk about native plants, and bring some stuff in from the area.
- Fish room setup
- Veggie filters
- DIY Automatic Dosing Systems
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hopefully Francine will have a chance to host later this year and discuss fish room setups. :)

The native plants talk is a good idea. Last year we went collecting in September at the resevoir near my house.
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I know other clubs have had GWAPA as guest speakers. Maybe it's time for us to have another club come and speak to us... Catfish, cichlids, killis, etc...
RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

Well, there are several veggie filters in the tank room for the Aug meeting, but the room is too small for many folks to be in it together. One of the veggie filters has become an independent tank, but it is still there (its display is a leaker at the moment).

The emerse Crinum filter may have to be moved for some electrical work, but it should be restored before the meeting - with some pruning. Anyone want any Crinum americanum? If I do have to move it, it is overdue for thinning, bloom has declined markedly. Very large (3-4') emerse bulbous plant, eats light, throws offsets via runners of variable length (some tight against parent as it does in soil, other a foot or more distant). repeat bloom spring to late fall when uncrowded, highly fragrant. Hungry, growth directly related to available nutrients (no deficiencies seen when used as a veggie filter, but it also eats space, not for small or low light applications). May be used (and is most commonly so used) as a pond or stream marginal outdoors in the summer. Can be wintered dormant in peat in cool but not cold storage (same as Taro and Canna, or slightly cooler) or grown with wet feet in good light as a houseplant. South of here (zone 6b) it is hardy with protection, a Florida native. Many cultivars and hybrids are available, this is the basic plant SFAIK, white petals, purple stamens.
Where's the fish? Neptune
DelawareJim

Post by DelawareJim »

I'll take some Crinums.

Cheers.
Jim
John G

Post by John G »

Topic suggestion: Photographing the planted tank.
John Godbey
Springfield, VA
RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

DelawareJim - if you are at the meeting, they are yours Whether the tank has to be moved or not, it desperately needs thinning. If you can't make the meeting, PM me and we'll set some other pickup.
RTRJR

Post by RTRJR »

Additional potential topic: Algae ID for the unwary and/or inexperienced. I have perhaps the "best" collection of algae I have ever had in the system right now (product of months of neglect). So, anyone who does not know BBA, a variety of hair algaes, both green spot and soft green glass algae, who knows what else - I have not seen BGA or staghorn, but better eyes may well spot either. They are unlikely to go away before the meeting. :(
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

I think that's a great idea Robert! There are a number of algaes I still see, but can never remember what they are, which makes treating them all the more difficult.

Sponsors