Mapping your experiences with aquariums

News & upcoming events
WJFitzpatrick

Re: Mapping your experiences with aquariums

Post by WJFitzpatrick »

So, something I have been thinking about doing is creating a map with the best places to get different specific supplies, plants, and fish. The map would be answering the question: "Where is the best way to get ______?"

I would love it if y'all could respond on the forum with some specific types of items that you use in and where you get them (can be online at a specific website or in a physical store). I am just trying to get a grasp of where you shop for your supplies and where you have the best experience in the Greater Washington Area.

Example:
A nice variety of Aquatic Plants - Pet Store A
A good deal on Water Conditioner - Online Site A
Extremely knowledgeable Staff - Pet Store B
Aggressive Fish - Pet Store C
Aquarium Heaters - Online Site B

You can give me as much detail with your items as you would like to give. I will take all of your responses and compile them into something physical. Think of it as a best of stores/sites for very specific items! Thanks so much, and feel free to let me know if you have any questions!!

Warmest,
Jack
krisw
Site Admin

Post by krisw »

Jack, just be warned that this question will be answered differently by lots of people based on preferences, opinions, etc...
WJFitzpatrick

Post by WJFitzpatrick »

That is exactly what I am looking for! I would like to take these opinions and preferences and plot them all down on a map -- the more opinions and items that you post, the more detailed this map can be! Thanks!
tug

Post by tug »

What aggressive fish - http://www.tangledupincichlids.com
Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association
Mixed with the sound of water's murmuring
a sensitive plant in a garden grows.
tug

Post by tug »

WJFitzpatrick wrote:So, something I have been thinking about doing is creating a map with the best places to get different specific supplies, plants, and fish. The map would be answering the question: "Where is the best way to get ______?"
Were do I look when I'm getting stuff?
Google reviews help - mostly for second hand sources of stuff.
GWAPA is a great place to look. More opportunity then I can describe.
A 65 gallon tank and some blue fish - I hope.

I have a few trusted, online ways to check a math equation. Well, in my case, do the math.
Yet Another Nutrient Calculator - http://rota.la & http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcnh3c.asp
When I want to buy anything, I go to a local aquatics club first.

And, it took too long getting to one. A few years on a forum or two can bring other experiences into the conversation but it gets old. These forums could be considered the warrior citizens. They go out, find stuff, (steal stuff :wink: ) and bring it back. I'm becoming more a stay at home, club members only, kind ah guy :P but we all can tell a tale, or two.

Jack,
I could use a map (directory) like this one, listing activities and future learning opportunities. Many organizations and clubs regularly provide coaching and many other rewarding activities. Commerce certainly is one more benefit. I save a list of clubs and one directory listing sponsored events, activities, exchanges, etc. I could use something like that. Not sure if this is that controversial part, Kris?

Edit: I meant to say worrier.
Last edited by tug on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
tug

Post by tug »

One problem is that stuff changes. Even good stuff. One man's floor.

Ask volunteer organizations, clubs, sponsors, who ever it is, to join and list an activity.

Browsers, (me) - would be directed to make a payment or offered a choice of a location (club), or area, activity listing, membership services, etc., all from one directory on the map.

A sponsor participates through a club activity and if there's interest, rescues the price in one large order.

Include activities like, apprenticeship programs, the AGA Convention activities, scholarships, teaching DIY projects, etc. Help hobbyists stay concurrent. Help us search for learning opportunities, i.e., activities. Botany, Programing, Photography, Mathematics (Alchemy), Ecology, marketing, design, an endless list of stuff to be taught. Any club activity can be turned into a teaching activity to be placed on the map. Take cooking for example. :| Guidance, no?

Limit classes to a few current members, or more.
Ask some graduates to run a concurrent workshop (w/help) at a later date - activity on the map.
Anyone attending Lancaster, or the AGA convention in 2014... activities on the map?
I don't know. :( Is that an activity?

Bringing guidance and experience to the map.
Building interest and development, "Club".

Edit: I was going to change couches to say coaches. And, then I thought not to do it. Then, I changed it to guidance.
Edit: Concurrent - I meant to say coconuts.
Edit: Some of these things can be done with a link to the organization offering the activity and/or it could go through the mapping software.
Edite: 4/11, was thinking about saying a bunch of stuff, again.
TAG, 2014 - pass it on.
WJFitzpatrick

Post by WJFitzpatrick »

Hey Guys! Sorry for the delay in a post, I have talked extensively with my professor for this class and realized that a calendar of events and meetings from which GWAPA members can learn about other events where they can chat about planted aquariums, fish, etc. (as suggested by Tug) could be a wonderful final project!

I am going to make some calls and do some searching for regularly occurring events in the area, but please post about any meetings that you attend (formal or informal) that could be shared on a calendar-like map.

Please let me know if you have any questions!!

Warmest,
Jack

Sponsors